Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Visit to Ambedkar Foundation - A foundation for dalits

As I promised to Sherene (Dalit Activist) and Ebe (CRY Volunteer Co-Ordinator) on saturday 25th March 2006 I visited Ambedkar Foundation in Otteri, Chennai. It is a typical slum area, but they have build a Concrete building for this foundation. When I entered the building, ground floor had elderly peoples, I think it is a homage for elders, I had to go to First floor, to my dismay the stairs had no light and it was total dark !!!. Somehow I managed to reach the first floor, Sherene and her husband were waiting with the students.

I was the only one to be from CRY and ebe confirmed his presence after some time. Meanwhile shrene was complaining about an Anglo Indian whom they have appointed for teaching English to these people, who failed to come to clases regularly. She is paid 2000 rs/Month for just training classes an hour in the early morning (which is hard for a social organization like this). If they could find any one who can teach English near by, then that would be grateful for them.Sherene asked me to carry on after giving a small info on her visit to CRY last week. I was working with children's so far, this is the first time I am going to chat with youngster's.

My motto to be there to motivate the students such that they find no difficulty in learning English, which is the barrier for them now.There were around 12 students. All of them are dalit Law College students, born and brought up in different parts of tamil nadu.

I started by asking them to tell something about themselves in English.

No comments:

Search the Web

Google